By Peter Chipman, OCW Digital Publication Specialist and OCW Educator Assistant
The James A. and Ruth Levitan Award for Excellence in Teaching was established to honor exceptional educators in MIT’s School of Humanities and Social Sciences. The awards, which are given annually based on nominations by undergraduate and graduate students, are not restricted to tenure-track faculty; winners can be professors, lecturers, or teaching assistants.
This year’s awardees are Nicholas Ackert (Political Science), Dr. Nilma Dominque (Global Languages), Dr. Caitlyn Doyle (Literature), Dr. Emily Goodling (Global Languages), Dr. Teresa Neff (Music and Theater Arts), and Prof. Margery Resnick (Literature).
MIT OpenCourseWare is honored to share courses from three of this year’s winners:
- 21G.801 Portuguese I
- 21G.802 Portuguese II
- 21G.820 Portuguese Advanced Conversation and Composition
- 21G.820 The Beat of Brazil: Brazilian Society through Its Music
- 21G.880 Accelerated Introductory Portuguese for Spanish Speakers
- 21M.235 Monteverdi to Mozart: 1600-1800
- 21M.250 Beethoven to Mahler
- 21M.295 American Popular Music
- 21M.299 The Beatles
- 21G.010 Introduction to European and Latin American Fiction
- 21G.022J International Women’s Voices
- 21G.716 Introduction to Contemporary Hispanic Literature
- 21G.717 Introduction to Spanish Culture
- 21L.019 Introduction to European and Latin American Fiction: Great Books on the Page and on the Screen
- 21L.020J Globalization: The Good, the Bad and the In-Between
- 21L.640J The New Spain: 1977-Present
By choosing to publish their course materials on MIT OpenCourseWare, these three educators have shown a commitment to quality teaching not only in their own classrooms but around the world. Dr. Neff in particular has been generous in sharing not only her course materials but also her thoughts about teaching, by means of written interviews on the Instructor Insights pages for 21M.235 and 21M.299. We are grateful for this generosity, and we offer all the 2023 Levitan Award winners our heartfelt congratulations.